Monday, November 6, 2006

How to Tune a Fish (not a piano)... not really

Hello Interneteers, at long last your lexiphage-free diet has been interrupted with some pithy goodness.
...
First off, the basic Lexiphamily's news: Mya continues to expand her solid-eating repertoire, as does Gavin's speech; the Neighbour Lady is having her usual issues with the Neighbour Offspring but is otherwise okay due to her increased exposure to myself.
In other news, McGuinty has a new idea that will make high school students suddenly want to graduate. I haven't read it yet, but rest assured I will have comments.
...
Now that the basics are covered, I wish to rant about a subject which irks me greatly. First, let me say I am not an ardent or even casual Dubya supporter; I am well aware that in the name of democracy three quarters of the free world will shoot anyone who says Dubya isn't a moron. That being said, I have a problem with the Dixie Chicks and their stupid movie.
From what I understand, and please, correct me if I'm wrong (don't laugh, it'll happen one day) the actual quotation that got everybody so weird about these idiots was something along the lines of "...We think it's a travesty that our president is a man from Texas!"
Lo and behold, the Dixie Chicks career suddenly is in peril!!!!
Now, I realize country music is an institution that is not overwhelmed with Mensa members, but the insinuation that the troubles they now face actually are a result of the evil Bush People persecuting them makes me amazed they can figure out which end of the cowboy hat goes on the head.
I will not comment here on the stereotypes of Texans; suffice to say they are well-know to us all. However, the implication that the largest state has no right to install the Prez is pretty assinine... The real moronism here is the implication that other southern states, by being like Texas, are equally invalid. You know, like Tennessee... home of NASHVILLE!!!! DUH!
Really, if giving the finger to the southern states, including the whole frickin' country music recording industry, doesn't ruin their careers, that country is more screwed up than I thought.
Therefore, a message to the Dixie Chicks, and all who worked on their whining "You done me wrong" movie:
ARE YOU REALLY THAT STUPID??? I mean, you apparently play guitar and foster the impression you can write music, stand upright and dress yourselves... CAN you be THAT STUPID???
...
As an aside, the whole Country music phenomenon irritates me. It's the superiority thing that does it to me- that whole "cowboys are tough, ain't nothin' like a country girl, real man, real music" thing that really grates on me, although the "rootin' tootin', honky-tonk, yee-haw" thing doesn't help.
Primarily, of course, it comes down to two real points of contention- first, the hats, and second, the weird notion that buying expensive silk shirts, developing a fake drawl and bitching about your cheatin' wife stealin' the pickup truck to run off with your favourite sheep has anything at all to do with the era of Billy the Kid 150 years ago. It's like a Star Trek convention, only it's like 30% of the globe taking part.
...
Bunch o' weirdos.
...
You know, I've been waiting to get that off of my chest for a long time. I feel better now. Ahhhhhhhhh.....
Ciao for a bit,
The Cathartic Lexiphage.

5 Comments:

Blogger SusanE said...

Now that is twice I've heard of the Dixie Chicks movie.... I'm dying to see a preview.

There are a couple of basic assumptions people these days:
1. If you are sympathetic to Palestine then you are anti-semitic
2. That Americans with a U.S. flag on their lawn are pro Iraq war &
3. If you don't like the Dixie Chicks then you MUST like Bush.

Your stance on your position on Bush seemed weak, who's side are you on Dixie Chicks vs Dubya.

I personally like pickup trucks and sheep.

But honestly, don't you find it odd that there are people out there that will threaten someone's life because they made a public comment against George? A little too crazed for my taste.

9:34 a.m.  
Blogger SusanE said...

Actual quote "We're ashamed that the President of the United States is from Texas".

I think the concept was that all Texans don't agree with George W. Bush's war.

11:15 a.m.  
Blogger Fiddling Granny said...

Oh, my gosh ... I can't stop laughing!!! What a great post Lex!!

"country music is an institution that is not overwhelmed with Mensa members" ... my sides are hurting!!

"makes me amazed they can figure out which end of the cowboy hat goes on the head"

My spleen is going to explode if I don't stop laughing!

7:02 p.m.  
Blogger Fiddling Granny said...

I should add ... that I think they have the right to say whatever they like. Whether the red-necks down agree with it or not. I don't think there's an exception for red-neck terrorists written into the constitution.

I guess free speech is only your right if you don't say anything.

1:50 p.m.  
Blogger Cherylinn said...

I want to correct all of you.....The Dixie Chicks are not real country....There is no REAL country anymore, they are all dying off slowly, one by one. There are still a few of the "good ole" country singers around like Willy Nelson and George Jones. But we have lost so many, Red Sovine, Tex Ridder, Hank Williams Sr., Johnny Cash, Conway Twitty, the list can go on.....
This stuff they call "new country" is garbage....
I've been waiting to say that for a long time and I'm glad I've got that off my chest.
After years finally Nick (my son) has come to his senses and he loves the "Good Ole Country"....It's nice knowing somebody else enjoys it as much as I still do.
Thank Cameron for this topic.

3:41 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home